Saxon Hill School, Inc. (SHSI) is Vermont’s oldest parent cooperative school. Its cooperative nature is a powerful tool in both the execution of our philosophy and our operation. By participating in the various aspects of the operation of Saxon Hill School, the membership ensures that the policies and management of Saxon Hill School continually reflect the needs and desires of the current membership. For this reason, we ask that our members sign the following commitment. (Available in pdf format here)
Our family agrees to:
- Conduct ourselves in a manner that is conducive to preserving the cooperative spirit of Saxon Hill School.
- Pay a one-time membership fee of $5.00 as described in the Saxon Hill School by-laws, Article II, Section 1.
- Pay a non-refundable registration fee of $75.00 as described in the Saxon Hill School by-laws, Article III, Section 3.
- Attend full membership meetings as described in the Saxon Hill School by-laws, Article II, Section 2. All member families with currently enrolled children are required to attend the three regularly scheduled full membership meetings (January, March, and August). Attendance at board meetings and special meetings of the full membership, where important issues are discussed, is encouraged.
- Serve on the board or on a committee as described in the Saxon Hill School by-laws, Article II, Section 3. (Detailed committee descriptions are found in the family handbook and duties of the board and its members are described in the by-laws. Please refer to these documents for further information.)
- Clean the school on a pre-arranged date as described in the Saxon Hill School by-laws, Article II, Section 4. (Depending on the number of families enrolled, cleaning assignments are generally for 3-4 hours one weekend or vacation week per academic year.)
- Abide by the Saxon Hill School health policy outlined in the family handbook and described in the Saxon Hill School by-laws, Article II, Section 5.
- Serve as a family helper in the classroom as described in the family handbook. Depending on the program in which you are enrolled you will be expected to family help as often as once every few weeks. The family helper generally assists the staff, provides a nutritious snack for the class, and does light cleaning after each class. Specific details can be found in the family handbook.
- Maintain professional confidentiality with regard to any information obtained through family helping about a specific child’s development, family situations, and the like.
- Support and participate in the following Saxon Hill School fund-raisers throughout the year in order to meet the financial obligations of the school. In the cooperative spirit of Saxon Hill School, each member family will support the school to the best of their ability. The one major fund-raiser that requires mandatory member participation is:
(At the Underhill Harvest Market, the last full weekend of
- Provide 3-4 baked goods (optional)
- Provide $100 worth of merchandise or pay $100.00 (required)
- Work one 3 hour shift or contribute $50.00 (required)
Provide the names of friends, grandparents, and/or other relatives who may enjoy supporting Saxon Hill School. SHS will prepare the letter of request, send it out, and follow up with a thank you note.
- Attend the event
- Invite friends and family to attend
- Make or secure donations of goods or services to be auctioned
- Meet the tuition obligation as described in the Saxon Hill School by-laws, Article IV, Section 2. “Enrollment in SHSI may be terminated by giving thirty days written notice to the president of SHSI. Termination of enrollment does not relieve a member family of its tuition obligation. The member family withdrawing shall be held responsible for two month’s tuition (2/9 of the annual tuition) from the date of notification. All other considerations may be brought to the Board.” (Please refer to the by-laws for complete tuition guidelines.)
- Allow our child to participate in the school’s program including planned field trips using transportation approved by the Saxon Hill School board.
- Abide by the by-laws and written policies in effect for Saxon Hill School.
- We agree to comply with a background check